for the love of horses

Ever since I was a kid, I've always loved horses.  I used to ride my friend, Leslie's horses bareback (without a saddle) through her families cornfields.  I took English lessons for a short period of time and went on the occasional trail ride (as finances could afford.)  My parents knew how much I cared for horses and sent me to the Berkshires when I was 13 for a week long horse camp.  I was assigned to Diego, a dappled quarter horse.  I took care of him, cleaned his stall, groomed him, learned how to saddle and bridle, went on trail rides and even showed him at the end of the week.  It was such a wonderful experience as a young woman to connect with such an incredible, gentle giant.  

Horses are a huge part of my life and creativity.  They have so much strength, power and grace and I thought I wanted to own my own when I was younger.  I've found I don't have the finances, time or energy to commit to horse ownership, but it sure does make me happy to help a dear friend with her gentle creatures.  George and I enjoy mucking stalls together and today I missed him dearly as it was the perfect spring day!  Since January, we've had the good fortune to muck stalls at my friends place.  We worked our cold hands and numb feet to the bone, so today was truly a day to remember and savor and be grateful for all life has to offer.  I absolutely love every moment.  It's the best part of my day.  Hard work and the smell of hay and sharing that experience with my love.  When I'm there, time disappears and I could spend an eternity.  Well, today, I had the time, so that's what I did.  Enjoyed some alone time in the warm spring sunshine listening to the birds, and witnessing my friends in the field living life as it should be.



























Comments

Popular Posts